There are no events to display.
Composition for Screen
- One-to-one tuition by leading composers and experts emphasising a practical approach to composition for screen
- Group tutorials and lectures focusing on practical skills, critical self-reflection, historical, aesthetic and narrative considerations
- Choice between a wide range of options to supplement your core studies
- Performances of your work by fellow RCM students as well as visiting and resident professional ensembles
- Networking events and workshops with film, television, and new media professionals
- Collaborations and joint tutorials with students from London-based film schools
- Use of state-of-the-art music recording and production facilities at the RCM Studios
- Frequent visits by eminent industry figures
Recent visitors have included:
- Hans ZIMMER, composer, The Lion King, The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, Interstellar, Pirates of the Caribbean
- Rachel PORTMAN, composer, Never Let Me Go, Chocolat, One Day, Bel Ami, The Cider House Rules
- Mel WESSON, ambient music designer, Hannibal, Transformers, Angels & Demons, King Kong, Pacific Rim
- Michael GIACCHINO, composer, Up, Cars, Ratatouille, Star Trek, Lost
- Howard SHORE, composer, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Hugo, The Game, A Dangerous Method
- Dario MARIANELLI, composer, Atonement, V for Vendetta, The Brothers Grimm, Pride & Prejudice
- Debbie WISEMAN, composer, Flood, P.O.W., My Uncle Silas, The Office
- Jeff ATMAJIAN, orchestrator, The Dark Knight, King Kong, The Village, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The RCM Studios produce recordings for both educational purposes and commercial clients. The 80m2 live room, housing a Steinway ‘D’ concert grand, is an ideal location for the recording of a wide range of session types from soloists to large ensembles, from film scores to jazz, rock and electro-acoustic music.
Composition for Screen students have access to five MacPro workstations, as well as a dedicated Production Suite equipped for 5.1 recording, mixing, and monitoring (Pro Tools HD, Logic Pro, Digital Performer, Yamaha DM1000 console), and a continually expanding library of samples and sound effects.
The RCM Studios is a member of the APRS (Category A: Commercial Recording Facility).
London is one of the busiest film and television production centres in the world, and a global capital for the advertising industry. With over 113,000 creative companies, London has been described as “the best place to network in the world”.
Studying in the Integrated Masters Programme in Composition and Composition for Screen can lead to one of the following:
For details on submitting your portfolio and the musical standards expected please visit our apply section.
RCM Screen Composers in action...
"The Capture" // Part: 1
Produced by Music for Life and Pierre O'Reilly
Filmed by Simon O'Neill and Gavin Lawson
Recording Engineer: Stephen Harrington
Session produced, mixed and mastered by Konstantine Pope