- Old and New
- Music and Ideas
- Orchestral Masterworks
- Voices of Revolution
- Bernard Haitink: Mozart and Strauss
- RCM Studios at 50
- RCM Opera
- Bach Cantatas
- Opera Scenes
- International Women's Day
- Organ Festival
- Chamber Essentials
Concerts in London
Women in Music
The Royal College of Music marked International Women’s Day on 8 March 2017 with an exciting series of events highlighting the wide-ranging exceptional female talent in music today.
The festival was organised by the RCM Creative Careers Centre and RCM Student Services to promote the College’s strengths in both career development and equality. RCM alumna Sofya Gulyak (the first female winner of the Leeds International Piano Competition) gave the UK premiere of Fanny Mendelssohn's Easter Sonata in a special lunchtime concert, broadcast live on BBC Radio 3. Other events throughout the day included a masterclass with Sofya Gulyak, a performance by La Femme saxophone quartet and an evening concert presenting works for guitar by female RCM composers.
- Listen again to Sofya Gulyak's performance of Fanny Mendelssohn's Easter Sonata on BBC Radio 3's website.
- Read BBC News, The Independent and The Times previews and a Telegraph review of this UK premiere of Fanny Mendelssohn's piano sonata.
- Visit Google Arts and Culture to see a digital exhibition exploring the stories of female music making in the RCM's portrait collection, curated by Erin McHugh from the RCM Museum.
- Go to our YouTube channel to watch RCM composer Lisa J Burgess interviewing RCM professor Errollyn Wallen about her career as a composer, and our Assistant Head of Undergraduate Programmes Dr Anastasia Belina-Johnson talking about 19th-century composer Augusta Holmès.
- Find out about BBC Radio 3 and AHRC's new recording project celebrating historic female composers, working with Dr Carola Darwin and Dr Anastasia Belina-Johnson from the RCM.