Back to top      

Police registration

Police officer in a fluorescent jacket
Some overseas students from countries specified by UK Visas and Immigration need to register with the Police at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO). 

Police Registration at the OVRO has resumed following suspension due to the coronavirus outbreak. However, there is a large backlog of overseas nationals needing to register and you may find there is not an available appointment for some time. You should book the earliest available appointment. Students will not be penalised for late police registration resulting from disruption caused by the pandemic and current students who are abroad should not experience any difficulties at border control in respect of police registration upon re-entry to the UK.

For the latest information on the availability of OVRO services and how to register, visit the MET police website.  

You can check the list of nationalities who normally have to register with the police on the UK Government website. You do not need to register if you have dual nationality with one of these countries and another country that is not on the list.

You will be told whether you need to register with the Police in the following ways:

  • For those applying outside the UK the police registration condition will appear on their entry clearance vignette (visa) and/or in the decision letter from the Home Office.
  • For those applying from within the UK the condition will  be confirmed in the Home Office visa decision letter.

Once your police registration is complete, you will be issued with a Police Registration Certificate (PRC). It is very important that you keep this somewhere safe, as you will need it if you ever want to apply for another UK visa.

When to register

The Student visa /Tier 4 (General) Student visa rules require registration within seven days of arrival in the UK. If you applied in the UK you must register within seven days of receiving your new BRP.

An appointment must be booked within 7 days of arrival in the UK.  This will ensure that the requirement to register with the police is satisfied, even if the first available appointment is beyond 7 days.  

If your circumstances change during your course (eg you change residential address, change your name, renew your passport or move to a different course), you must make an appointment to get your PRC updated within 7 days of the change. A full list of possible changes of circumstances and how to report them is available on the Metropolitan Police website.

Visit the OVRO website

Students extending their visa

If you had a police registration condition, you must submit an up-to-date PRC with any application to extend your stay. If you do not have an up-to-date PRC your visa will be refused.

If you have lost your PRC, you should make an appointment at the OVRO as soon as possible to obtain a new one as soon as possible. If the address on your PRC is not current, you must update this at your local Police station before submitting your visa application.

How to register

Visit the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) website to book an appointment. 

OVRO is located at:

Southwark Police Station
323 Borough High Street

You must attend at the time of your appointment. If you are 10 minutes late, you will not be seen and will need to book another appointment.

Please use the OVRO entrance, not the main police station entrance.

Appointment times will normally be available from 9am - 3.30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

You must bring:

  • Your passport.
  • Your entry clearance vignette from your passport (if you applied outside the UK).
  • Home Office visa approval letter or email showing requirement to register (if you applied inside the UK).
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
  • Proof of address in London, for example a tenancy agreement or letter of confirmation from your accommodation provider.
  • Proof of study details (confirmation letter from educational sponsor or CAS Statement).
  • Your existing Police Registration Certificate if you have studied in the UK before.
  • The registration fee (only if registering for the first time, currently £34).

The Registration fee can be paid using most major debit/credit cards, or Apple/GPay. Cash is not accepted.

Students who have previously studied in the UK

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate (PRC), but you are starting a new course, you will need to update your details with the OVRO. You do not have to pay the registration fee again, provided you bring your current PRC with you.