Entry to the RCMJD is competitive by audition in February, March and April for entry in September the same year. This is our only audition period, though we may offer auditions outside this period in exceptional circumstances.
Before making your application, please make sure you have read all the information in this section, including the age requirements, expected standard and audition requirements. You will also need to refer to our planned audition dates by reading the ‘RCMJD auditions information for applicants’ document.
Our application deadlines relate to our two groups of auditions. An overview of these is given below. For more detailed information, including precise dates and who can apply for Early Bird Auditions, please refer to the RCMJD auditions information for applicants above.
Early bird auditions
If you are a pianist or violinist and would like to be considered for an early bird audition in February, please indicate this on your application form.
We must receive your completed application by Friday 24 January 2020.
Main session auditions
All other auditions will take place in March and April.
We must receive your completed application by Sunday 1 March 2020.
We will only be able to accept late applications in exceptional circumstances. If you would like to enquire about submitting a late application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and give as much information about the applicant as possible.
How to apply
Guidance for completing the online application form
In order to complete the online application form, which you will be taken to when clicking 'Apply now' below, you will need to have the following information available:
- A recent passport-style, head and shoulders photo of the applicant in JPEG format
- Most recent practical exam grade, mark and date for first and second study instruments if applicable, or approximate standard if no exams have been taken
- If taken, most recent theory exam grade, mark and date
- September 2020 school name, postcode, Headteacher, Head of Music and music department email address (if applicable)
- Names of current ensembles and/or choirs with which the applicant performs
- You do not need to send us references
- Please do not send copies of exam or festival mark sheets or certificates at this stage – we will ask for them if they are required