Welcome to Autumn 2021 Upbeat
Welcome to the latest digital edition of Upbeat, the Royal College of Music’s magazine.
Our More Music: Reimagining the Royal College of Music vision has been a tremendous success, and the redevelopment of our campus is now complete. It has brought me great joy to see our community of students and staff performing in our new venues, and to welcome many members of the public.
The newly transformed Royal College of Music Museum has already welcomed thousands of visitors and is a beguiling environment in which to encounter centuries of musical history. The Museum hosts regular Friday lunchtime concerts, so you can also hear some of these unique instruments in action. I encourage you to book a visit when you’re next in London and enjoy an enriching experience.
This edition of Upbeat celebrates our new spaces and shines a light on just a few of those who have helped us make the building development possible.
- Take a tour of the RCM’s new transformational spaces including the beautiful Performance Hall, 1851 Courtyard, and spectacular, triple-height Cotes-Burgan Atrium, and learn about some of the donors behind the names.
- Watch a new filmed interview with the Curator of the Royal College of Music Museum, Professor Gabriele Rossi Rognoni, and enjoy a behind-the-scenes insight into the brand-new, interactive Museum.
Our RCM Community
- Meet Douglas Gardner, RCM Council Member and Chair of the Estates Committee, as we speak to him about his work for the College and his love of music.
- Learn how the Royal College of Music Junior Department is changing young musicians’ lives and inspiring students to pursue music at the RCM and beyond.
All our news
- We are delighted to announce a gift of £25,000 to the RCM Scholarships Fund from the Victor Dahdaleh Foundation, which has been matched with another £25,000 by the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Matching Fund.
- In our Updates pages, we share the latest goings-on among our students, staff and alumni.
- In memory celebrates the lives of members of the RCM community.
The Big Give
This year we are once again proud to have been selected for the annual Big Give Christmas Challenge. This is a matched funding opportunity: all donations received via the Christmas Challenge Campaign will be doubled (up to a total of £60,000) to benefit the RCM’s most deserving young musicians.
As ever, we would like to hear about your recent news and projects via firstname.lastname@example.org – please send your updates in by Friday 21 January 2022. You can also get in touch with your news and stories by tagging the Royal College of Music on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
I wish you all a happy, safe and restful holiday season ahead.
Professor Colin Lawson CBE FRCM, Director