Due to high demand for audition slots at the RCM’s overseas venues, performers wishing to audition overseas are required to submit a pre-screening video audition as the first round of the assessment process. Performers applying to audition in London are not required to submit a pre-screening video.
Videos should be submitted at the same time as you complete your UCAS Conservatoires application form, and at the latest by the application deadline.
Videos will be reviewed after the application deadline and performers who are shortlisted will be invited to a live audition at their selected venue. There is no additional assessment fee for applicants invited to the live audition round.
Candidates should prepare the same repertoire as candidates auditioning in person. Please refer to the audition requirements stipulated by the relevant faculty.
At the start of your video(s) please give a short spoken introduction, stating your name and the work you are about to perform (title, composer, movement). Pre-screening video submissions may include more than one file from different performances. Audio only recordings will not be accepted.
Tips for preparing a good recording
- Your video constitutes the first stage of your assessment, so make sure that you are satisfied that it showcases you to the best of your ability.
- You may find it helpful to practice recording yourself and review your performance before filming your final video.
- Film your video in a well-lit location, with your camera placed on a stable surface.
- There are no dress requirements, but you should look professional.
- Make sure the reviewers can see what you are doing! For example, for pianists it is important that your fingers can be seen.
- Check the quality of your recording carefully before submission.
Submit your pre-screening audition