Back to top      

English language requirements

The Royal College of Music requires all international students to prove they can communicate in English. Once we are satisfied that your English is of a suitable standard we will confirm this on your CAS, which will be seen by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

The RCM is not permitted to issue you with a CAS until we can confirm you meet the UKVI English language requirements, which state that you should be able to speak, read, listen and write in English to at least CEFR B2 level. Most students prove this by sending the RCM an IELTS certificate, or other acceptable language qualification.

When your CAS is issued please check the English Language section of the CAS Statement. 

UKVI English language requirements

The RCM’s entry requirements comply with the minimum levels set by UKVI for Tier 4 (General) student visa applications. For some courses, such as the MMus, the RCM's English language requirements are higher than the CEFR B2 level set by UKVI.

Filling out your Tier 4 visa application

Because the RCM is a Higher Education Institution (HEI) you are not required to send any English language certificates to UKVI with your visa application.


Please do not send any English language certificates to UKVI. Doing so might cause confusion and a delay in issuing your visa.

The RCM will note on your CAS that we have assessed your English language capabilities. This will allow UKVI to see that you meet their requirements. We will also confirm that you do not need to send any further proof. The Tier 4 visa application includes a question about how you meet the minimum English language requirement relevant to your course. Please make sure you select the answer that matches the reason we have given to UKVI for you not needing to send further proof. The reason will be one of the following:

Higher education institution sponsor has made an assessment

This is the option if you submitted an IELTS certificate or a degree from an English-speaking country (as defined by UKVI in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance - please note that this does not include Singapore, South Africa or Canada), or were assessed under the RCM's rules for students from Singapore, South Africa or UK schools

Migrant from majority English-speaking country

As defined by UKVI in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance. Please note: this does not include Singapore or South Africa.

Migrant to switch from Tier 4 (Child) to Tier 4 (General) visa

This is the option if you have recently finished a course at a UK school on a Tier 4 (Child) visa and are switching to a Tier 4 (General) visa.