Complete entries, including all original piano accompaniment parts, must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Entries submitted after this time will not be accepted.
Peter Morrison Concerto Competition
Open to all first study students in their final or penultimate year in the JD, ie Years 12, 13 & Extension only.
- Closing date 29 September 2018
- Preliminary round 10 November 2018
- Final 24 November 2018
Gordon Turner Competition
Open to all students aged 15 and 16 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 1 December 2018
- Preliminary round 26 January 2018
- Final 2 February 2018
Barbara Boissard Junior Concerto Competition
Open to all students in years 7-10
- Closing date 5 January 2019
- Competition date 9 February 2019
Angela Bull Competition
Open to all students in their final year, ie Year 13 or Extension.
- Closing date 12 January 2019
- Preliminary round 2 March 2019
- Final 9 March 2019
Gordon Turner Harp Competition
Open to all harp students. Co-ordinated by Daphne Boden.
- Competition date 2 February 2019
Marjorie Humby Competition
Open to all students aged 13 or 14 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 9 March 2019
- Preliminary round 11 May 2019
- Final 18 May 2019
Joan Weller Composition Competition
Open to all Junior Department students, regardless of whether or not composition lessons are taken at Junior Department.
- Closing date 27 April 2019
Hugh Bean Violin Competition
Open to all first study violinists aged 12 or under at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 4 May 2019
- Competition date 22 June 2019
Teresa Carreño Piano Competition
Open to all pianists of at least Grade 7 standard.
- Closing date 11 May 2019
- Competition date 1 June 2019
John Wills Writing Competition
Divided into two categories (years 11 and below; years 12 and above) and open to all Junior Department students
- Closing date 18 May 2019
Chamber Music Competition
Open to all chamber groups involving students in years 11, 12 and 13 (including Extension) - one member of the group may be in year 10.
- Closing date 16 March 2019
- Preliminary rounds during normal chamber music session times or Performers’ Platform on Saturdays 4 May and/or 11 May (as required)
- Final 1 June 2019
- Competition winner's performance 30 June 2019 at the Purcell Room
In addition to the above competitions the following prizes are awarded annually for achievement in ABRSM exams (amongst other nominated prizes):
Ian Stoutzker Violin Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Violin Grades 7 and 8 as notified to JD via students/teachers/parents.
Grade VII/VIII Theory Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Theory Grade 7/8 from the previous June.