Complete entries, including all original piano accompaniment parts, must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Entries submitted after this time will not be accepted.
Below is a list of previous competitions. Details of future competitions will be published when they are available.
Peter Morrison Concerto Competition
Open to all first study students in their final or penultimate year in the JD, ie Years 12, 13 & Extension only.
- Closing date 28 September 2019
- Preliminary round 9 November 2019
- Final 23 November 2019
Gordon Turner Competition
Open to all students aged 15 and 16 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 30 November 2019
- Preliminary round 1 February 2020
- Final 8 February 2020
Barbara Boissard Junior Concerto Competition
Open to all students in years 7-10
- Closing date 11 January 2020
- Competition date 22 February 2020
Angela Bull Competition
Open to all students in their final year, ie Year 13 or Extension.
- Closing date 18 January 2020
- Preliminary round 7 March 2020
- Final 14 March 2020
Gordon Turner Harp Competition
Open to all harp students. Co-ordinated by Daphne Boden.
- Competition date 8 February 2020
John Wills Writing Competition
Divided into two categories (years 11 and below; years 12 and above) and open to all Junior Department students
- Closing date 8 February 2020
Marjorie Humby Competition
Open to all students aged 13 or 14 at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 14 March 2020
- Preliminary round 9 May 2020
- Final 16 May 2020
Chamber Music Competition
Open to all chamber groups involving students in years 11, 12 and 13 (including Extension) - one member of the group may be in year 10.
- Closing date 21 March 2020
- Preliminary rounds during normal chamber music session times or Performers’ Platform on Saturdays 2 May and/or 9 May (as required)
- Final 30 May 2020
- Competition winner's performance 28 June 2020 at the Purcell Room, Southbank Centre
Joan Weller Composition Competition
Open to all Junior Department students, regardless of whether or not composition lessons are taken at Junior Department.
- Closing date 25 April 2020
Hugh Bean Violin Competition
Open to all first study violinists aged 12 or under at the end of the August before the academic year starts.
- Closing date 2 May 2020
- Competition date 13 June 2020
Teresa Carreño Piano Competition
Open to all pianists of at least Grade 7 standard.
- Closing date 9 May 2020
- Competition date 30 May 2020
In addition to the above competitions the following prizes are awarded annually for achievement in ABRSM exams (amongst other nominated prizes):
Ian Stoutzker Violin Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Violin Grades 7 and 8 as notified to JD via students/teachers/parents.
Grade VII/VIII Theory Prizes
Awarded for the highest marks in ABRSM Theory Grade 7/8 from the previous June.